Member recipe by rjoshi
- For The Potatoes
- 450g Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion Diced
- 1 Red or Green Pepper Diced
- Chili Peppers diced (to taste)
- 1 Large Garlic Clove Minced
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Coriander
- 1/8 Teaspoon or to taste Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lettuce, Carrots, Onions, Sweetcorn, Yellow Peppers - chopped
- For The Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Tahini Paste
- 4 Tablespoons of Yoghurt
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Small Garlic Clove Minced
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- Salt To Taste
- To Serve
- 4 Pitta Bread
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1.2cm (1/2â³) cubes. Place in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside. (This will remove some of the starch from the potatoes, making them less likely to stick to the pan when cooking.)
- Heat a large heavy skillet (I use cast iron) over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and cook onion until softened, about five minutes. Add peppers and chili (if using) and continue to cook until vegetables are soft (about an additional five to seven minutes.) Then add the garlic and cook for another two minutes. Remove vegetables from skillet.
- rain the potatoes and dry them with a clean kitchen towel. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet (still over low heat) and fry the potato cubes, turning now and then, until they are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle two tablespoons of water around the edge of the skillet and immediately cover the potatoes with a lid. The lid does not have to fit the skillet, you can use a smaller lid and just rest it on the bottom of the skillet (which is what I do). Cook for five minutes, then remove lid and test potatoes to see if theyâre cooked through. If not, cover them again with the lid and give it another couple of minutes (add a bit more water if the pan is dry).
- When the potatoes are cooked through, add the vegetable mixture back into the skillet and mix thoroughly. Season with dried coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add the fresh coriander, if using, and heat through.
- Meanwhile, cut up the lettuce and tomato for the salad. Mix together the sauce ingredients until smooth, adding water as needed to thin it to the consistency of a thickish salad dressing.
- Warm pita breads and slit one side open. Put in a handful of lettuce and some tomatoes. Spoon a bit of the sauce on top. Then fill with the fried potatoes and top with more sauce.