Member recipe by riwasa
ServingsServes 1 - 30 Cookies
This is a Middle Eastern dessert that is served in most of the Middle East during Eid, Christmas and Easter.
- Make sure you have the wooden shape Mamool molder (specifically for these sweets).
- DOUGH (recipe is for 45 Mamool pastries):
- 1 kg rough semolina
- 1/2 kg ground semolina
- 600 grams of shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/4 cup Orange Blossom Water
- 1 1/4 cup rose water
- Depending on the filling you want to make, the ingredients are below. If you want to make all the fillings, you have to repeat the dough ingredients for each filling:
- WALNUT FILLING:
- 3/4 kg finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp flower water
- Mix all the ingredients for the walnut filling together.
- For the pistachio filling you substitute pistachios for walnuts and you also add 1 tsp Orange blossom water
- DATE FILLING:
- 1/2 kg of mashed and pureed dates
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs grinded anise seeds
- 1/2 tbs mahlab (Arabic spice)
- Mix all the ingredients for the date filling together.
- For more Middle Eastern and international recipes go to www.cookican.com
- Mix well the rough and ground semolina with the shortening and keep them aside uncovered for 10 hours. Then mix in all the ingredients for dough together in a mixer till the dough is flexible. Then divide the dough into small golf balls.
- Get the wooden moulder and flatten out the dough piece so it takes the shape of the wooden spoon and put your choice of filling (pistachios, walnuts or dates) and close the dough.
- Now knock down the dough so you filled and shaped Mamool comes out.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees celsius) 10 minutes before baking.
- BAKING: Bake at the higher rack in the oven 8 minutes. If they are lightly golden from the bottom, put them on broil for 8-10 minutes or until they look lightly golden. Take them out of the oven when they are done.
- SERVING: Cool and then sprinkle with confectioner sugar before serving. You can sprinkle the confectioners sugar through a small filter to spread evenly.