Arancini Siciliani di casa
Member recipe by ricomercato
ServingsServes 1 - 25 Pieces
A traditional Sicilian streetfood that consists of a ball of rice filled with bolognese sauce and deep-fried in crispy breadcrumbs
- For the Rice balls
- 1 bag arborio rice
- tsp salt
- 1 sachet of saffron or turmeric
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g breadcrumbs
- tbsp salt
- tbsp pepper
- For the bolognese
- 1 tin crushed plum tomatoes
- tsp salt
- 100g minced beef
- tsp chopped basil
- For cooking
- 1ltr sunflower oil
- boil the rice until soft and cooked, add the teaspoon of salt whilst cooking.
- Drain the rice when cooked and leave to cool and set. When the rice is wet or damp, it will more difficult to form shapes. It is recommended to leave the rice overnight, covered with clingfilm, however the longer you leave it, the better.
- Once you have left the rice to cool and set, take the bowl of rice and add the tbsp of salt and tbsp of pepper and mix.
- After this, add the sachet of saffron or turmeric which you'll notice will turn the rice to a pale yellow colour. This is not essential, however it does add to presentation.
- Once you have mixed this all together, then you can begin whisking the eggs in a seperate dish. After that, fill a pot with all the oil and heat until boiling.
- take a handful of rice from the bowl and create a ball shape in your hands. slowly and gently begin to form a hole from the top of the ball in to the middle. the size of the hole depends on how much filling you want it to contain.
- once filled, close the hole and make sure it is sealed by pressing the rice together firmly. Now roll in the beaten egg and coat with the bread crumbs
- Your arancini is now ready to cook. Place into the boiling hot oil and fry until golden brown. then remove and place on a series of napkins to absorb the excess oil. Repeat this for the rest of the arancinis and you're now ready to embrace the Sicilian culture!