Victoria Sponge Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 10
Stunning Victoria Sponge cake recipe...the perfect companion to afternoon tea! Recipe provided by Nigel Paul Smith of Liverpool's Maritime Dining Rooms.
- 5 Eggs
- 60g of very soft butter
- 150g castor sugar
- 150g plain Flour
- 6 tablespoons of strawberry jam
- STEP 1Pre heat the oven at 190 deg C
- STEP 2Gently warm eggs and sugar (in a large bowl that fits comfortably over the pan of water) and put a pan of water in to simmer.
- STEP 3Whisk the eggs and sugar until the reach blood temperature. Take off the heat and whisk until cool, the mixture will double and if you whisk very well it will treble.
- STEP 4The key to whisking is a consistent technique, not going like itÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂs a hell for leather and you need to achieve a figure of 8 action.
- STEP 5Gently fold in the flour over 5 stages so divide the flour by 5 and gently add, be careful as you could knock the air out you have just painstakingly just put in.
- STEP 6Once this is done add the molten butter and fold in gradually.
- STEP 7Line your 10ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ baking tin with greaseproof paper, if itÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂs a circular tin and your struggling fold the greaseproof paper in half and half again.
- STEP 8Fold in half again along the diagonal to get a piece of cake shape ( Wedge, triangle) place the point to the centre of the tin, then gently tear around the outside ensuring the paper fits inside the tin.
- STEP 9Now place the greaseproof around the inside of the tin edge a little oil on the tin will help this stick then place the base which you have just made into the centre.
- STEP 10Now we can add the mix. Add your mix slowly and be gentle so as we do not knock the air out.
- STEP 11Bake now for 15-20 mins.
- STEP 12Once the sponge is cooked allow to cool.
- STEP 13Once cooled slice the cake in 1/2 through the middle
- STEP 14Filling
- STEP 15Take 6-7 good size tablespoons of good quality Strawberry Jam and spread liberally through the centre of the cake then take 1/2 pint of double cream and whisk until thick spread this on the other half of the cake. Then join the two together, press gently until the filling oozes to the edge. Dust with icing sugar.
- STEP 16If you are slimming or watching your weight use 10 tablespoons of jam and 3/4 pint of double cream because then itÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂs a real treat!