- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Turkish Kisir Salad - good as a side dish or a main
- Olive oil, 2 tbsp
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped (or 400g canned chopped tomatoes)
- 200ml boiling vegetable stock
- 300g dried bulgur wheat
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- Bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 bottled roasted red peppers in brine, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper (freshly ground)
- 120g pomegranate seeds
- Large handful of roughly chopped mint leaves
- 200g feta cheese, or grilled halloumi (for serving)
- STEP 1Add the oil to a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and stir-fry for 5-6 mins (or until soft), then add the tomato puree and stir-fry for 2-3 mins.
- STEP 2Add the tomatoes, turn the heat to low and leave simmering for 5 mins. Add the stock, turn the heat to high and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the bulgar wheat.
- STEP 3Add the lemon juice, spring onions, red pepper, chilli or cayenne pepper, garlic, cumin and cinnamon. Season to taste, cover and leave to stand for 15-20 mins.
- STEP 4Toss to mix well, scatter over the pomegranate seeds and mint and serve warm or at room temperature, with lemon wedges and feta/haloumi