Spanish rice, chicken&chorizo
Member recipe by plumbman
- olive oil
- chicken thighs 12, on the bone with skin on
- red peppers 2, sliced
- chorizo 100g, cut into small chunks
- onion 1 large, roughly chopped
- garlic 4 cloves, crushed
- smoked paprika 3tsp
- dried chilli flakes 1 tsp
- chicken stock fresh, cube or concentrate, made up to 1.3litres
- calasparra rice or paella rice 375g
- flat-leaf parsley chopped to make 2 tbsp
- lemon 1,juiced
- Heat the oven to18oC/fan16oC/gas4. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a paella pan or a broad, shallow pan, season the chicken thighs and brown them in batches on all sides (but don't cook through). Remove, then add the peppers and chorizo to the same pan and cook over a medium heat until the peppers soften.
- Throw in the onion and garlic and cook gently until the onion is soft. Stir in the paprika and chilli and cook for a minute, stirring,then add the chicken stock. Put the chicken pieces back, bring the stock to a simmer and cook, covered, over a gentle heat for15 minutes.
- Pour the rice around the chicken and season. Put in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, until the stock has absorbed and the top is golden. You don't need to stir the rice as it cooks.
- Cover the dish with foiI and leave to sit for 5 minutes. Scatter with the parsley and lemon juice over the top before serving.