- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 4 oz digestive biscuits - i.e. half a small packet - must be McVities brand.
- 3 oz, melted butter
- 2 (8-ounce) and 1 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (i.e. 1.5 packs Philadelphia cheese and 1 tub of mascarpone or ricotta)
- 1 cup granulated sugar i.e. 250ml.
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
fruit and/or jam for topping
- fruit and/or jam for topping
- STEP 1For the Crust: In a bowl stir together crushed digestive biscuits and melted butter. (Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin or similar.)Turn into a 9-inch springform pan (one that the base separates from the sides to make it easy to remove after baking). Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 10 minutes. Cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
- STEP 2For the Filling: Beat softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beating until fluffy. Add 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Pour into the shell and bake for 1 hour, or until the center is set. Cool then spread with the strawberry glaze. Chill for 3 hours.
- STEP 3For the Topping: spread a thin layer of jam over the top of the cheesecake and sit fresh fruit onto this. Glaze with a thin layer more of jam if desired.