Quick butterfly cupcakes
Member recipe by pheebean
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
Super-quick last-minute birthday cupcakes using minimal ingredients but keeping all the flavour
- 100g butter softened
- 140g caster sugar
- 150g self raising flour (I used plain flour+1tsp baking powder due to the lack of self-raising in France)
- 2 large eggs
- To decorate:
- 150g butter softened
- 280g icing sugar
- 12 frozen (defrost first) or fresh raspberries, or any other berry you fancy!
- TIP: Buying a large bag of frozen berries will last you ages, it's about half the price of fresh berries, and you can keep them in your freezer for whenever you fancy a berry fix!
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius (fan)
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the cake ingredients and combine until you have a smooth batter. You may have a add a few drops of milk to make the batter fall off a wooden spoon when tapped.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases and fill each one about 2/3rd full.
- Bake for around 20-25 minutes, until slightly golden and firm to touch
- Whilst cupcakes are cooling on a wire rack, make the buttercream. Soften the butte r in a large bowl, little by little sieve the icing sugar into the bowl, mixing until you have a good consistency. The butterceam should not be too runny. It should be thick enough to hold shape on top of the cupcake.
- To make the butterfly wings, use a sharp knife to slice off the top part of each cake. Cut that circle in half. Add some buttercream inside the hole that you have just made in the top of the cake, then arrange the two halves on top of the buttercream at an angle to make the wings.
- Repeat for each cake, then pop a raspberry on each cake and enjoy!