Shin of beef
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
Slow roast Shin of beef with beer or ale.
- 2kg bone in Shin of beef
- 2 bay leaves
- sprigs of thyme and rosemary
- large can of beer or ale whatever brand you like
- 2 red onions quartered
- 330ml stock whatever you have or make up beef
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms torn or halved
- tbsp oil
- STEP 1Pre heat your oven to 140c
- STEP 2Use a cassarole or roasting tin large enough to hold all the ingredients, Put the Shin of beef along with the herbs, Beer and stock in.
- STEP 3Cover with a tight fitting lid or double thikness of tin foil to stop the liquid evaporating
- STEP 4Cook for 4 hours. Fry the onions in the oil untill lightly brown then add the mushrooms and garlic, get a little colour on the mushrooms. Remove the lid or foil add the onions and garlic mushrooms spoon juices over the joint then return to the oven for another 45 mins to an hour basting now and again.
- STEP 5The beef should be melt in the mouth tender by now take out and leave to rest. Take out the bay and herbs thicken the gravy if needed and serve with your fav veg.
- STEP 6use your local butcher get to know them and ask about the meat and how to cook it they are brilliant and you ll enjoy it more better than saying i got it from the supermarket, our butcher march quality meat is the best ive ever used very friendly and helpful.