- STEP 1
1. For the lamb shanks: dust the lamb shanks with seasoned flour. Heat a little oil in a heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish, add the lamb shanks and fry until lightly browned on all sides, turning occasionally. Remove the lamb shanks to a plate and set aside.
- STEP 2
2. Add the onions, garlic and rosemary to the casserole and fry until softened. Return the lamb shanks to the casserole, then add the wine, balsamic vinegar, bay leaf and a little stock, if needed. Cover with a lid or foil and simmer gently for 2-3 hours or until the meat is falling away from the bone. Meanwhile, prepare the caramelised vegetables and creamy mash.
- STEP 3
3. For the caramelised vegetables: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Arrange all the vegetables in a single layer on a baking tray. Drizzle the honey over the vegetables and lay the thyme sprigs on top. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, removing the foil for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time, so that the vegetables colour slightly.
- STEP 4
4. For the creamy mash: peel the potatoes and put them in a pan of cold water with the garlic and salt. Bring to the boil and cook until tender, then drain well and return the pan to the heat briefly to remove excess moisture. Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer or mash them until smooth with a potato masher.
- STEP 5
5. Heat some cream and butter together in a separate pan until just boiling, then add this to the mashed potatoes, beating until the mixture is smooth and velvety. Season.