Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Lambshanks with winter Veg
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 4
A great recipie for sundays or entertaining, using red wine and root veg.
For the lamb shanks:
- 4 lamb shanks
- 50g plain flour, seasoned
Olive oil, for frying
- 3 medium red onions, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 600ml Red wine
- 20ml good quality Balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- lamb or chicken stock, (optional)
For the caramelised vegetables:
- 4 baby Turnips, cut into quarters
- 3 Parsnips, cut into quarters
- 8 Chanteney Carrots
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 2 sprigs Thyme
For the creamy mash:
- 1kg Potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- pinch Salt
- double cream
- STEP 11. For the lamb shanks: dust the lamb shanks with seasoned flour. Heat a little oil in a heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish, add the lamb shanks and fry until lightly browned on all sides, turning occasionally. Remove the lamb shanks to a plate and set aside.
- STEP 22. Add the onions, garlic and rosemary to the casserole and fry until softened. Return the lamb shanks to the casserole, then add the wine, balsamic vinegar, bay leaf and a little stock, if needed. Cover with a lid or foil and simmer gently for 2-3 hours or until the meat is falling away from the bone. Meanwhile, prepare the caramelised vegetables and creamy mash.
- STEP 33. For the caramelised vegetables: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Arrange all the vegetables in a single layer on a baking tray. Drizzle the honey over the vegetables and lay the thyme sprigs on top. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, removing the foil for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time, so that the vegetables colour slightly.
- STEP 44. For the creamy mash: peel the potatoes and put them in a pan of cold water with the garlic and salt. Bring to the boil and cook until tender, then drain well and return the pan to the heat briefly to remove excess moisture. Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer or mash them until smooth with a potato masher.
- STEP 55. Heat some cream and butter together in a separate pan until just boiling, then add this to the mashed potatoes, beating until the mixture is smooth and velvety. Season.