- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 2
- 8 scallops cleaned, washed, beards removed
- Pinch red chilli powder
- Pinch ground fennel
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) piece fresh ginger grated
- 1 green chilli
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 tsp Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
- 100ml (3.5 fl oz) fish stock
- 1 lime zest
- 100ml (3.5 fl ox) fresh double cream
- 3-5 strands saffron soaked in a tbspn of warm water
- Chopped fresh dill and/or chives
- STEP 1Marinate the scallops in the chilli powder, fennel and salt and pepper for 10 minutes.
- STEP 2Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Heat he ghee in the frying pan. When hot, add the fennel seeds and allow them to sizzle. Add the garlic, ginger, green chilli and shallots, stirring continuously. Allow the shallots to soften for a minute or two, then add the mustard, stirring all the time. Gradually pour in the fish stock, then add the lime zest and allow the sauce to reduce slightly. Now add the cream, and the soaked saffron, and let the sauce bubble until you have a nice rich consistency. Leave on a low heat while you prepare the scallops.
- STEP 3Brush some oil on to a griddle or non-stick frying pan and sear the scallops for 20-30 seconds on each side. Remove from the pan and add them to the sauce. Just before serving, garnish with fresh dill and chives.