Prawn and Hass avocado Ceviche
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Perfect as a healthy main course summer salad, or for a delicious starter.
- 1 large Hass avocado, halved, pitted and peeled, then cut into 1cm cubes
- 350g raw king prawns
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and diced into 1cm cubes
- A handful of fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- STEP 1In a large saucepan, bring 2 litres of water and a large pinch of salt to the boil. Add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes maximum, then remove with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to a bowl of iced water to prevent further cooking (and turning the prawns rubbery). Drain well, then place in a bowl (not a metal one) and add the lemon and lime juice, mixing well.
- STEP 2Add the red onion and chilli, stirring to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- STEP 3Remove from the fridge and add the avocado, cucumber and coriander or parsley. Season with salt and pepper, mix well, then spoon into attractive dishes or glasses and serve.