Jamaican curried goat
Member recipe by nickisha
Delicious and full of flavour.One of the most Popular dishes from the Caribbean. Great for special occasions.
- TO MARINATE THE GOAT
- 1Kg of goat (Boneless or with bone)
- 2 TBSP Caribbean hot curry powder (I.E Dunn's River)
- 1 TBSP All purpose seasoning
- 1 small Lime
- 1 Green pepper
- 1 Orange pepper
- 1 Bunch Small spring onions
- 3 garlic clove's
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper (half if you like it less hot, also remove seeds)
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh flat leaf Parsley
- Fresh Coriander
- TBSP of grated ginger
- Vegetable stock cubes
- 4 Cups of Basmati Rice
- 3/4 Of tinned creamed Coconut
- 1 Tin of Kidney Beans
- Put all of the Goat in a bowl, sprinkle the 2 TBSP of curry powder and 1 TBSP of all purpose over the meat. Then add the whole Lime juice. Rub the meat to ensure even coverage of seasoning. Fill kettle with 1 1/2 pints of water and boil, add to jug with 2 veg stock cubes.
- On high heat, heat a large pan or pot with oil (whichever oil you prefer) until really hot. Add the marinated goat, turn to medium heat and stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes. Now add the boiled water and stock.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes on a medium-low heat.
- Chop the Peppers, Onions, Garlic, Scotch bonnet, Ginger, Coriander and Parsley.
- Set aside the Coriander and Parsley.
- Add the Peppers, Onion, Garlic, Scotch bonnet and Ginger. Let simmer for 30 mins on medium heat.
- Add the Coriander, Parsley and 4 sprigs of Thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for a further 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat
- Add washed rice to a pot or pan, add coconut, Kidney beans, 1 clove of garlic, 2 sprig of Thyme, 1 Spring Onion and 1 tsp of salt. Bring to the boil on high heat, then turn to low heat and cook for 20 mins, or until cooked.