Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Easy Jambalaya Recipe
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
The true definition of southern comfort.
- 1 pound chicken legs and thighs
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh cayenne pepper, stemmed and minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- STEP 11. Heat the oven to 350°F. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add the chicken and cook, flipping once, until browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- STEP 22. Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until dark brown (like the color of chocolate), 6 minutes. Add the celery, bell pepper, and onion and cook for 1 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cayenne pepper. Cook 1 minute more, then stir in the stock. Bring to a low simmer over medium-low and stir in the 2 tablespoons salt. Simmer for 1 hour, then stir in the sausage and rice. Nestle the chicken on top, cover, and bake 30 minutes.
- STEP 33. Carefully remove from the oven and stir in the butter and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.