Tonkatsu (arrangement for vegetarians)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
The recipe of my own arrangement of Tonkatsu for vegetarians. "Tonkatsu" is a typical Japanese home cooked dish and it is one of the most popular dishes in Japan. It is said that the word "katsu" comes from the French word "cotelett". The Japanese word "Katsu" means 'win'. Some Japanese people eat Tonkatsu the day before a special-day .
- 350g of tofu(12cm×9cm)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 80g of breadcrumbs
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of pepper
- 7 tablespoons of rice oil
- STEP 1Wrap the tofu with a paper towel and put a weight on it to drain well.
- STEP 2Cut the tofu into 1.5cm.
- STEP 3Sprinkle salt and pepper on the tofu, coat it with flour and dip it in the beaten egg. Cover the meat with breadcrumbs and press lightly with hands.
- STEP 4Heat the oil(to 170-180℃), and deep-fry the tofu for 5minutes, or fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain excess oil.