Member recipe by miniminx59
This is the best hangover meal, ever. Full of meat, rice and flavour...and it makes absolutely loads!
- 1 cup of shredded leftover chicken - preferably drumstick
- chorizo (up to you, but about a quarter of a whole sausage is good)
- 200g prawns
- 2/3 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 300ml water
- 6 large tomatoes (very ripe)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 50g mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 chillis
- tbsp chopped parsley
- tsp tomato paste
- dash lemon juice
- tsp paprika
- tsp chilli powder
- pinch sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil for frying
- Add a dash of oil to the jambalaya pan and cook the sliced chorizo until slightly crispy and the juices are beginning to run, stirring often. Add the chopped onion, garlic and chilli and cook until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to break down into a sauce. Add the water and stir in the tomato paste, chilli powder and paprika. Bring to the boil and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, chopped pepper, quartered mushrooms and sweetcorn, and cover. Turn down the heat and cook for about 20 minutes, until the rice is just about cooked. Keep checking the pot and stirring to make sure nothing is sticking (if it's looking too dry, add more water).
- Add the lemon juice, cooked chicken, and prawns. Cook with the lid off until the remaining water is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked. Season with the sugar, salt and pepper (be especially generous with the pepper), adjusting the quantities according to your taste.
- Stir through the chopped parsley and serve.