Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Chinese Scallion Pancakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons peanut/vegetable oil
- 3 each scallions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- STEP 1Oil a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- STEP 2In a separate large bowl, mix together flour and water until a smooth dough forms. If the dough is sticky, add more flour and mix again.
- STEP 3Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Place the dough in the greased mixing bowl and turn until it is lightly covered with oil. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- STEP 4Flour your work surface again and roll out the rested dough. Divide the dough in half, then roll each half into a 1” thick cylinder. With a pastry scraper or knife, slice the dough into 2” segments. Dust your rolling pin with flour and roll out each segment into a 5” circle.
- STEP 5Lightly brush the top of each circle with peanut oil, about 2 tablespoons total for all the pancakes. Sprinkle with scallions and salt.
- STEP 6Roll up each circle into another cylinder, making sure the scallions stay in place.
- STEP 7Coil the dough so that it resembles a snail.
- STEP 8With the rolling pin, flatten again into disks about ¼ inch thick. Place the rolled-out pancakes on a plate and repeat with the remaining dough. Can freeze the dough for future use.
- STEP 9Heat a nonstick saute pan over high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Working in batches, pan-fry the pancakes until golden brown. Press down puffed up sides or middle with the spatula, if necessary.
- STEP 10Transfer the pancakes to a plate, cut into wedges, and serve with chili sauce, soy sauce or vinegar on the side.