Maggypat's Trifle Bombe
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Leave to set over night!
- Serves 8
Delicious, unusual trifle, served upside down and cut like a cake!
- 2 pkts trifle sponges or jam Swiss rolls or a slab of Madeira cake
- 2 sachets Dream Topping
- 1 tin of fruit cocktail in syrup
- Medium sized dark chocolate bar (grated)
- About 3 fluid ounces of sherry (optional)
- 1 and a half sachets of gelatine
- I pint double cream
- STEP 1Line a large glass or plastic bowl with trifle sponges or slices of Swiss Roll or slices of Madeira Cake.
- STEP 2In another large bowl mix up the Dream Topping with milk according to directions on the Dream Topping packet.
- STEP 3Open tin of fruit cocktail and drain half the juice into a small jug and add the sherry if required.
- STEP 4Drizzle the mixed sherry and juice around the top edge of the lined bowl so that the sponge/cake becomes moistened all over.
- STEP 5Put the remainder of the fruit juice into a cup and add the gelatine. Place the cup into a pan of hot water in order to dissolve the gelatine.
- STEP 6Whilst the gelatine is dissolving, add the fruit cocktail into the mixed Dream Topping and add 3/4 of the grated chocolate. Mix gently together and then stir in the prepared gelatine.
- STEP 7Pour the Dream Topping mixture into the sponge/cake lined bowl.
- STEP 8Cover bowl with cling film and place in refrigerator overnight. (Can be left for less time provided it has set)
- STEP 9The next day (or when set) remove from fridge, remove cling film and level off and remove the excess sponge so the top of the trifle is flat.
- STEP 10Put a large plate over the top of the bowl and completely turn upside so the trifle slides out of the bowl onto the plate. Mix the cream until thick enough to spread over the trifle. It will now look like an igloo, sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve! Delicious!!