Spiced chocolate biscuit gateau
- Preparation and cooking time
- Chilling at least 3 hours, preferably overnight
- Makes 6 - 8 portions
A delicious, simple prepare ahead pud
- 425ml double cream
- 2 tbl special icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Large pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 4 tbl special water
- 2 tbl special brandy (or sherry)
- 1 tbl sp cocoa powder
- 150g petit beurre biscuits
- 150g plain chocolate, grated to decorate
- STEP 1Whip cream with icing sugar and spices until stiff
- STEP 2Mix water and brandy in a shallow bowl. Add cocoa powder and stir until well combined. Quickly dip 1 biscuit in the cocoa liquid to moisten, taking care not to oversoak. Place on an oblong plate. Dip second biscuit and place next to the first, long sides together. Repeat with a third biscuit.
- STEP 3Spread a heaped tablespoon of the spiced cream over the 3 biscuits to cover them.
- STEP 4Repeat with another 3 biscuit layer. Press down lightly and spread with another layer of cream. Continue this way until all biscuits have been used, saving approx 1/3 of the cream.
- STEP 5Scrape any excess cream from the sides and add to the reserved cream with any remaining cocoa liquid. Whip again to combine.
- STEP 6Spread reserved cream over too and sides of the gateau to cover. Cover loosely with foil and refrigerate for at lead 3 hours, preferably over night.
- STEP 7To serve, transfer to a serving plate using a fish slice. Decorate by pressing grated chocolate over the top and sides.