Porcini mushroom risotto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This earthy, oozy risotto is something so special for those cold Autumn nights
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- STEP 1Place the water in a large pot and bring to the boil. Add the dried mushrooms and simmer continuously. Meanwhile, in another large pot, heat the olive oil and butter over a medium heat before adding the onion. Stir constantly until onions start to caramelise. Add the garlic, stirring for a further minute. Add the arborio rice, combining well with the onion and garlic.
- STEP 2Keep the pot of rice over a medium heat. Add the mushroom "stock" one ladle at a time to the rice, waiting until it has been absorbed before adding another spoon full. It should slowly start to become more plump and creamy. Keep testing as you go to see if it is aldente towards the end, continueing stirring until the rice is cooked. If the rice is still undercooked, add a splash of water.
- STEP 3When the rice is cooked, stir in the mushrooms and the parmesan. Season to taste, cover and leave for a few mins so that the rice can take up any excess liquid. It should be oozy so add a little more water if not. To serve, spoon into bowls and top with more parmesan.