Onion and asparagus quiche
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
All that is good about Spring!
- 1 bunch spring onions (trimmed)
- 50 g butter
- two large eggs
- two large egg yolks
- fine sea salt
- 225 ml double cream
- 100 g medium cheddar (grated)
- 200 g asparagus (trimmed and lower parts of stalks peeled)
for the short crust pastry
- for the short crust pastry
200 g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- a little egg whites (lightly beaten to glaze)
- 100 g cold butter cut into small cubes
- STEP 1Put the flour and quarter teaspoon fine sea salt into a bowl, add chopped butter and rub in until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add 3 tablespoons of ice cold water and mix with a butter knife until the dough just comes together.
- STEP 2If it seems too dry, add a little extra water, but try not to make dough too wet. Lightly knead into a smooth ball, wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- STEP 3Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to a large round, to the thickness of 1 pound coin. Use to line the tin and trim off the excess. Chill again for at least 30 minutes.
- STEP 4Heat the oven to 200C, 400F gas 6. Line the tart case with tin foil and bake blind for 15 minutes. Brush the inside of the tart case with egg white, and then cool. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- STEP 5Adjust the oven setting to 180°C, 350°F gas 4.
- STEP 6Slice the spring onions on the diagonal. Melt the butter in a pan, add the spring onions, season
- STEP 7and cook gently over medium heat until soft but not browned. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- STEP 8Blanch the asparagus in a pan of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes; they should still retain a bite.
- STEP 9Drain and refresh under cold running water, then drain well. Cut the asparagus spears in half lengthwise.
- STEP 10Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and cream together in a bowl. Reserve a good handful of cheese for sprinkling,
- STEP 11and the rest of the cheese to the creamy mixture and season well with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- STEP 12Sprinkle half the reserve cheese in a thin layer over the pastry base and scatter
- STEP 13over the spring onions. Arrange the asparagus on top, then carefully pour on the creamy mixture
- STEP 14to just below the rim of the pastry. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 30 to 35 minutes,
- STEP 15until the filling is set and golden. According to Tim slightly before unmoulding.
- STEP 16Serve warm or at room temperature .