Special Indian Basmati Rice
Member recipe by lunabu
This special rice tastes great with any Indian meat, fish or vegetarian curry.
- 1 large mug white basmati rice
- 1 1/2 mugs boiling water
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 bayleaf or curry leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- Measure out 1 mug white basmati rice. Put it a bowl and top up with cold water. Soak the rice for 10 mins, then wash THOROUGHLY in a sieve until water runs off clear
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add all the dry ingredients except for the turmeric. Gently fry on a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, stir and then add the rice. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the water and bring to the boil. When boiling, put the lid on the pot and turn down the heat to simmering.
- Simmer the rice for 20 - 25 minutes and try and resist peeping into the pot. The steam building up under the lid is important for the cooking process of this rice.
- Lift the lid after 20 minutes to check if all the water has been absorbed. If so, remove the "bits", most of them will have collected at the top of the pan. If there's still any water left in the bottom of the pan, simmer for another few minutes.
- Stir through and enjoy alongside your favourite curry. You can also keep this rice hot in the oven (100 degrees celsius) for an hour or so which will make the rice more grainy and less sticky.
- (I will endeavour to add a photo the next time I make this rice.)