Member recipe by lulucooks
- 1 kg of mashing potatoes
- 1 kg of Fish - i.e pollack, cod, salmon
- 1 large handful of cooked and peeled tiger prawns
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 8 medium mushrooms
- plenty of pepper
- 50 g cheddar cheese, flour, butter and milk for a cheese sauce
- Put the fish pie mix which is skinless and boneless in an oven dish with a couple of knobs of butter, a good glass of milk, and some pepper and ground nutmeg. Put this into a pre-heated oven on 200 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Peel and cut the potatoes and boil them until they are ready for mashing. You can boil the eggs at the same time.
- Once the fish is cooked, separate the fish from the liquid left in the dish - this should be used in the cheese sauce.
- For the sauce, use a large non-stick pan. Melt 50 g of butter, and then add flour until you get a dough like consistency. Then add the liquid left from cooking the fish slowly over heat whilst stirring. If you use a whisk you will remove the lumps more quickly. You may need to add more milk if the sauce is too thick. Then grate the cheese and add to the sauce, along with pepper and more nutmeg to flavour.
- Once you are happy with the sauce, add the fish, prawns, capers, chopped mushrooms and peeled boiled eggs. Ensure everything is well mixed and that the eggs are cut up and evenly spread. Poor this into a pirex dish and allow it to cool. This thickens the mix and makes it easier to add the mashed potato.
- Mash the potato with a little butter and milk. Then gently spoon this on top of the sauce - use a fork to spread it across the whole top.
- . If cooking immediately place in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes. As a tip place an oven tray underneath as the sauce can spill into the bottom of the oven during cooking.
- Serve with seasonal vegetable of choice.