Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Romanesco & Watercress Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 5
A warming winter soup with an interesting flavour twist: sumac!
- 1 head of romanesco, cut into florets
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch of watercress (+ a few sprigs to finish)
- 2 1/2 tsp of sumac
- 1/2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1l chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 rashers of pancetta, cut into smallish strips and shortly fried
- STEP 1In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over high heat and fry the onion and garlic for 3 minutes, until starting to soften.
- STEP 2Add the romanesco and thyme. Fry for another minute.
- STEP 3Add stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- STEP 4Add watercress and let simmer for another few minutes.
- STEP 5Remove 5 cooked romanesco florets. Blitz the rest of the soup until smooth using a food processor or hand-held blender.
- STEP 6Divide over 5 plates/soup bowls. Finish each plate/bowl with a few strips of pancetta, a romanesco floret and some watercress. Finally, sprinkle each serving with 1/2 tsp of sumac.