Member recipe by lovelessons
- 10 tablespoons (140 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract ( or half a teaspoon of vanilla paste , this works better than the extract)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) jam ( or marmalade , raspberry , gooseberry any jam or marmalade work perfectly)
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat just until incorporated. Do not over mix the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, knead the dough a few times to bring it together, and then divide the dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least an hour , or freezer for 10mins ) .
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven , and have ready your muffin tins.
- Remove one portion of the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out the dough until it is 1/8 inch (.5 cm) thick. Using a lightly floured 7cm round cookie cutter, cut out the rounds and gently press them into the muffin tins. Fill each pastry with one teaspoon of your chosen jam or marmalade . Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 - 14 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven leave to cool in trays for about 10 mins and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 mins .