Luxury Sausage and Mash
Member recipe by lintondrums
Succulent roast sausages with caramalised red onions in basmatic gravy on bubble and squeak and decorated with pimento olives.
- 2 Sprigs each of fresh thyme,
- 2 Sprigs of rosemary
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1tb Dried Oregano
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 12 Cumberland sausages
- 2 Large red onions, Sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 750g Floury potatoes, 1cm cubes
- 600g Mixed vegetables such as swed, carrots, leek etc
- 1 tb Olive oil
- 2 knobs butter
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 or 200 degrees celcious and place the sausages on the tray with a touch of olive oil. Check the sausages every ten minutes and rotate until they are brown all over.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes and mixed veg in a pan of boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes. When they're cooked right through drain and leave to one side. Heat up the frying pan and drizzle with olive oil when up to temperature add the cooked potatoes and mixed veg. Mash the vegtables up into a pancake form and fry for half an hour and check every five minutes. When it gets golden brown remember to give it a flip and mash back into pancake shape. Keep doing this until the bubble and sqeek is slightly crisp all over, if possible.
- Take out the sausages from the pan on to a plate and add the garlic and herbs with a splash of basmatic vinegar and stock. Remember to mix the gravy with residue from the sausages and drizzle with the olive oil and pimento olives. Heat the sauce in the pan on a gentle heat for 5 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Once the bubble and Squeek has been cooked place onto the plate adding the sausages on top. The onion gravy can be thicken with flour and butter to be poured on top of the sausages and vegtables.
- Serve with a glass of wine and watercress for decoration.