Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Salted Caramel, Peanut butter Ice-Cream
- Preparation and cooking time
- 3-5 hours freezing
- More effort
- Serves 6
Rich and creamy ice-cream flavoured with salted caramel and peanut butter.
- 200 g caster sugar
- 250 ml double cream
- half a tsp of sea salt flakes
- 400 ml milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 g pure peanut butter
- STEP 1Melt the sugar in a large pan over a high heat until it is completely liquid and takes on an amber colour. Then add 100ml of double cream. It should come to the boil almost instantly from the heat of the caramel. Then add the sea salt, gently shake it up to mix it in and let it rest off the heat.
- STEP 2Mow take another pan and add the milk and remaining cream to it. Gently heat it over a medium heat. You only want this to steam, not boil. As that is heating, whisk up 3 egg yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- STEP 3Once the milk/cream mixture starts to steam, gradually, bit by bit add it to the yolks, whisking each bit in before you add the next. Once all the milk and cream has been incorporated into the yolks pour the mixture back into the pan and whisk in the peanut butter.
- STEP 4Once the peanut butter is incorporated, place the salted caramel over a low heat, pour in the peanut butter custard and whisk to combine. The thick caramel should be resistant at first but be patient. Once the caramel has mixed in, swap the whisk for a wooden spoon, turn the heat up to medium and stir continuously for 20 to 30 minutes until the custard has thickened enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon. It's thick enough when you drag a finger across the back of the wooden spoon and the trail stays clean.
- STEP 5Remove from the heat and allow to come down to room temperature. This will happen faster if you sit the pan in a sink of cold water. Then pour into a freezer proof container and freeze for an hour or two or until ice starts to form around the edges of the ice-cream.
- STEP 6Then take it out and blitz it in a blender or food processor. Freeze and blitz another 2 times before returning it to the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve.