Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Punjabi Chana Masala or Chole Masala
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 5
A North Indian styled chick peas/Garbanzo beans recipe with freshly pounded roasted spices and khada masala/whole spices.
- 250 gm Chick peas/Garbanzo beans, washed and soaked in water for 8-9 hours
- 4-5 medium size onions, ground to a paste
- 4-5 Garlic cloves, pound or grind
- 2 medium Tomatoes, pureed
- Whole Coriander-Cumin seeds ( 1-1/2 Tbsp coriander seeds and 1 tsp cumin seeds), roasted and coarsely pound
- Khada masala/Whole spice mix(1 bay leaf, 1" cinnamon stick, 4-5 green cardamom, 3-4 black peppercorns, 4 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli/Pepper powder or as per your spice tolerance
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Ghee/clarified Butter
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Water for boiling (1-1/2 cups) and cooking the beans(1/2 cup)
- STEP 1Pressure cook and boil the beans upto 5 whistle or for 10 mins. Keep aside and let the pressure drop.
- STEP 2Heat a pan or wok on medium and add in the oil and the ghee, let the ghee melt completely.
- STEP 3Reduce the heat to low now and add in the khada masala/whole spice mix and let splutter.
- STEP 4On a medium heat, add in the onion paste to the whole spices, saute in and fry till the water dries and the fat separates.
- STEP 5Add the garlic paste and stir in until the raw smell is gone.
- STEP 6Add the tomato puree, chilli powder, roasted spices powder, salt and saute until the oil separates.
- STEP 7Now add the boiled chick peas/garbanzo beans, (retain the water for the curry). Carefully fold in the peas with the fried masala/spice mix and fry for few mins on low.
- STEP 8Add water little at a time and let simmer, with occasional stir in.
- STEP 9Once done, garnish with freshly chopped coriander or cilantro leaves and serve hot with any Indian flat bread or rice.