Loaded Meat Loaf in Blanket
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Allow 30 minutes for the dough to rise
- More effort
- Serves 8
I made this comfort food for my dearest hubby after a hard day's work and he loved it! It was even great cold the next day and he took some to work with him.
For the meat loaf:
- 500g minced meat (beef or pork or a blend of the two)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60g fine bread crumbs
- 1 tsp parsley (finely chopped or dry)
- 1 large egg
- 4 rashers of smoked bacon or speck, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp English mustard (optional)
For the bread:
- 500g white flour
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 1tsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil, plus extra to coat
- 250ml warm water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped or dried chives
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 220C/fan 240C/gas9 and put the 4 eggs into a saucepan with water. Boil for 8 minutes.
- STEP 2Mix the flour, salt, sugar, yeast and oil in a large bowl and gradually add the warm water, mixing with your hands until it combines into a slightly wet, soft, workable dough. Then tip it onto a floured surface and knead until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place it back into the bowl which you have oiled, cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- STEP 3Place the diced bacon and chopped onion into a frying pan with some oil and fry until the bacon is brown and the onion is soft.
- STEP 4In a bowl, add the fried bacon and onion and all the other ingredients for the meatloaf to the meat and mix well. I find using my hands is very therapeutic and ensures that all the ingredients are combined well.
- STEP 5Place the mixture onto a greased aluminium foil and use your hands to spread it out into a rectangle (about 30cmx24cm in size). Sprinkle chopped chives all over it and place the pealed boiled eggs in a line in the middle of the meat mixture. Use the foil to fold the sides over the eggs and fold the edges. Then turn upside-down, so the seams are on the bottom. Transfer the foil with the meatloaf onto a baking tin and place in the hot oven for about 10 minutes or until the meatloaf gets a nice brown colour. Leave to cool down for about 20 minutes. (Save the drippings and make gravy by heating with some water and corn flour in a saucepan!)
- STEP 6In the meantime, turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangle about 40cmx35cm in size. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to additionally rise while the meat loaf is baking and cooling down.
- STEP 7Turn the oven down to 160C/fan 180C/gas4.
- STEP 8Transfer the meat loaf in the middle of the dough and fold all the sides over the meat loaf. Turn upside-down and brush with oil. Using a knife, make a criss-cross pattern on the top of the loaf. (At this point you can sprinkle some sesame seeds or any other seeds of your choice onto the bread loaf)
- STEP 9Place onto a greased baking tray and bake for 40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- STEP 10Leave to rest for 15 minutes, cut into slices and serve with gravy.