Alb's luxury yummy fish pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Decadent fish pie with prawns or scallops or both
- 225g each of cod, smoked cod,and prawns and/or scallops
- 600ml / 1 pt milk
- 600ml / 1 pint double cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/2 grated nutmeg
- 55g / 2oz unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled finely diced
- 2.5 ml / 1/2 tsp soft thyme leaves
- 75g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons anchovy essence
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 30ml / 2tblsp flat leaf parsley
- 5ml / 1tsp English mustard powder
- 900g / 2lb potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- 55g / 2oz gruyere cheese
- STEP 1First boil the potatoes
- STEP 2Infuse the milk and double cream with the bay leaves, grated nutmeg and peppercorns and cloves. Place the fish into the infusion adding a tablespoon of butter. Poach on top of the oven for approximately 8-10 minutes (the fish does not have to be cooked through, as it will be cooked further once th mash has been put on top). Add the raw prawns/scallops after 4 mins of fish cooking.
- STEP 3Remove fish from the pan and place in a bowl(allow the fish to cool until you are able to handle it without burning yourself), discard the skin, flake the fish and put back into the bowl. Set aside. Strain the poaching liquor into a jug.
- STEP 4For the roux mixture, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pan. Add the chopped onion and the thyme leaves and cook over a medium heat until the onions have softened. Stir in the flour little by little and cook gently for 5 - 7 minutes.
- STEP 5To the onion and flour mix, gradually add the poaching liquor, stirring vigorously all the time. Once all the liquid has been added cook over a very low heat for 10 minutes,until thick and creamy
- STEP 6Add the hard boiled eggs, parsley, mustard powder, and anchovy essence. Carefully fold in the flaked fish and prawns/scallops (optional luxury). Season to taste. Pour into two separate oven proof dishes, (one big and one small).
- STEP 7Drain the spuds (the trick to a good mash is having the potatoes as dry as possible) into a bowl plus 2 egg yolks (the yolks make the mash become more crispy when baked in the oven). Mash all together. Spoon the mash over the top of the fish mixture in the two separate dishes and fluff up with a fork.
- STEP 8Put the small dish in a plastic bag and freeze. Combine the two cheeses and sprinkle over the spuds. Place into a pre heated oven (200c/400f/ gas mark 6 and bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
- STEP 9Serve with fresh spinach and carrots.