Chilled mandarin and lemon mousse
- Preparation and cooking time
- 3 to 4 hours chill time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Light fluffy English dessert
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Grated zest of 2 mandarins and the juice of 4 mandarins
- 1 sachet powdered gelatin
- 4 eggs separated
- 100g caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
- STEP 1Put the fruit in a bowl. Measure the fruit juice-it should be no more then 250ml. Pour the measured juice into a small saucepan and sprinkle with gelatin. Leave to soak for 5 minutes then heat gently without boiling until the gelatin has dissolved, leave to cool.
- STEP 2Add the egg yolks and sugar to the fruit zest and whisk until the mixture is thick and creamy. With clean beaters, whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff and whip the cream in another bowl until it forms soft peaks.
- STEP 3Gently whisk the gelatin mixture into the yolks, then fold in the cream and finally the egg whites. Spoon the mixture into glasses and chill for 3-4 hours until set. Decorate with whipped cream and lemon and mandarin zest. Then serve.