Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 4
A traditional dish from Germany of stuffed and rolled Beef or Pork.
- 4 large pork loin medallions or 4 large slices braising steak.
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon.
- 4 pickled gherkins.
- 2 medium onions.
- 2 sticks of celery.
- 1 large carrot.
- Dijon Mustard (traditionally German mustard).
- Small tub Creme Fraiche.
- Beef stock.
- Red wine.
- Salt and Black Pepper.
- String or cocktail sticks.
- STEP 1Lay the steaks on a thick chopping board and hammer with a meat tenderizer. You want the steaks to be quite thin, a maximum of around 5mm thick.
- STEP 2Spread mustard thickly over the whole surface of the steak and lay two rashers of bacon on each.
- STEP 3Cut the gherkins lengthways into 4 and slice about half of an onion. Lay the gherkin and onion widthways on the steaks and season.
- STEP 4Start at one end and tightly roll the steaks into a roulade. Tie with string or use cocktail sticks to keep the stuffed steaks in a roll.
- STEP 5Heat some oil in a pan and brown the roulades on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside once done.
- STEP 6Whilst the roulades are frying, chop the carrot, celery and remaining onion and fry on a medium heat to soften.
- STEP 7Once softened add some garlic, herbs and black pepper. Add 250ml of red wine and 250ml beef stock and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- STEP 8Add the roulades to the sauce (the sauce should come just over half way up the roulades) and cover. Cook on a low heat for about an hour turning once.
- STEP 9Remove the roulades to a serving dish and strain the vegetables from the sauce keeping them aside. Put the sauce back on the heat and slowly stir in the Creme Fraiche.
- STEP 10Pour the sauce over the roulades and take to the table. Serve the vegetables separately or save for another day.