Soda Bread with Sultanas
- Preparation and cooking time
- 20 mins resting time
- Makes 1 loaf
This is a sweeter version of Irish Soda Bread. Great with lots of butter for an afternoon tea.
- 500 g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 20 g baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tsp brown cane sugar
- 100 g sultanas
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 150 ml milk
- STEP 1Put the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into food mixer and, using a K-beater and medium speed, work in the butter. Add the sultanas and liquids and mix well.
- STEP 2Line a baking tray.
- STEP 3Combine the mixture with your hands to make a dough and shape into a ball. Flatten the ball out and cut a cross in the top, using a wet knife.
- STEP 4Put the dough on the baking tray and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- STEP 5Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/mark 6.
- STEP 6Once the dough is rested, dust it lightly with flour and bake in the middle of the oven for 40 - 50 minutes. If the top starts to brown too much, cover loosely with baking paper.
- STEP 7Transfer to a wire rack to cool.