Naariyal Baingan ka Bharta
Member recipe by keertim
This is a South Indian version of the popular North Indian Baingan ka Bharta or Stuffed Brinjal in gravy. Try it, it is really lip-smacking !
- 1. Brinjals - 700 g 0 cut off the stalks and slit them in the shape of a cross on top of them, just deep enough for the stuffing to go in, but not deep enough so than it gets cut into four quarters.
- 2. Fresh Coriander - a bunch of stalks and leaves - weighing about a 100 - 150 g
- 3. Cherry tomatoes - about 150 0 200 g
- 4. Green chillies - I use atleast 5 stalks, but this portion can vary depending on the amount of heat one wants in the dish
- 5. Onions - 1 large or two medium ones
- 6. Garlic - 12-14 pods
- 7. Garlic - a 2.5 inch piece
- 8. Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
- 9. Cumin powder - 1 1/2 tspn
- 11. Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tspn
- 12. Amchoor powder
- 13. Red Chilli powder
- 14. Turmeric
- 15. Salt
- 16. Sesame Seeds
- 17. Coconut Cream/Coconut Milk
- It sure is a lot of ingredients, but as a first step I put the Coriander, Tomatoes, green chillies, garlic and ginger and the onions in the processor and blitz. This makes whatever is left to do pretty simple.
- Now heat oil in a heavy- bottom- pan. This dish would take a little more oil than necessary. So, be careful to not use much oil right now. I use olive oil. Any ordinary vegetable oil may be used.
- Wait for the oil to heat up a little, and add the cumin seeds. As soon as they begin to cook/splutter, add the coriander-onion-garlic-etc.. mixture to it.
- Let it cook for about 4 min and then add the coriander powder, cumin powder, little salt at this juncture, some turmeric and also a little chilli powder.
- Let it cook for another 7 min. Now take it off the stove and let it cool a little, as this is the mixture we would stuff into the brinjals.
- I cut my brinjals at this point, soI can also wait for the stuffing to cool.
- Now stuff this into brinjals using a spoon, or your hand. place these brinjals in another pan, add required amount of oil and now let the brinjals cook for about 35-40min, till they turn out soft and supple and the coriander gives out a fabulous aroma.
- Now add the remaining mixture to the brinjals. Now add the coconut milk/cream, cook for another minute or two.
- Check for salt and other ingredients (masalas), add more if necessary.
- Garnish with Sesame Seeds and serve hot with rice, paratha or roti !