Portugese Custard Tarts
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus cooling time
- More effort
- Makes Tartlets
My version of the yummy traditional tarts found in Portugal
- 1 whole egg (large)
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 400ml full fat (creamy) milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- STEP 1Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin and pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6
- STEP 2Put egg, yolks, sugar & cornflour in a pan and mix well together then gradually add the milk until mixture is well mixed and smooth.
- STEP 3Place pan on medium heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- STEP 4Put custard in a glass/ceramic bowl to cool and cover with cling film to prevent skin forming.
- STEP 5Cust pastry sheet into two pieces and place them on top of each other. Roll the pastry tightly, from the short side, into a log and cut the log into 12 even sized rounds.
- STEP 6On a lightly floured board, roll each round into a disc (approx. 10cm) and press the pastry discs into the muffin tin.
- STEP 7Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25mins until golden on top. Leave to cool in the tin for 5mins then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling although they can be eaten warm.