Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Spicy Summer Roast Chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus at least 3hrs marinade time, preferably overnight.
- Serves 4
A different take on a classic roast chicken.
- 1.6kg/3lb 8oz chicken
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- olive oil
- 5tsp caraway seeds
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 3tbsp dried oregano
- 2tsp rosemary
- 1tsp turmeric
- 4tbsp harissa paste (fresh chilli will also do)
- 250ml pot greek yogurt
- STEP 1Oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 7. Have the garlic bulb and sit the halves in a roasting tin. Drizzle the cut sides with olive oil and roast for 40mins until golden and the cloves have gone squishy inside. Leave to cool then squeeze out the garlic into a bowl.
- STEP 2Grind the caraway and cumin seeds until fine. Tip into the bowl with the garlic, remaining herbs and spices, harissa paste and greek yogurt. Mix well, and season.
- STEP 3Rub the marinade over the chicken, inside and out. Put the chicken in a large food bag or in a covered non metallic container. Leave in the fridge to marinade for 3hrs or preferably overnight.
- STEP 4Oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Cover the chicken loosely with foil and roast for 30mins. Remove the foil and return the chicken to the oven for another 20-30mins until deep golden and cooked through. Let it rest for 10mins before carving.
- STEP 5Per serving: 537 kcal, 44g protein, 10g carbohydrate, 36g fat, 12g sat fat, 2g sugar, 0.79g salt.