- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 5 large scones
These foolproof cheese scones are made with basics from your kitchen cupboard and perfect when you're craving carbs.
- 450g of self-raising flour
- 1 generous tsp. of baking powder
- 50g of butter
- 55g of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium egg
- 270ml milk
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 220C. Sift the flour and the baking powder into a bowl in order to allow air into the mixture. This is an important step.
- STEP 2Rub in the butter until a breadcrumb like consistency is achieved. Cold, dry hands make this step easier.
- STEP 3Grate the cheese. Stir most into the flour mixture but keep a little back for sprinkling on top of the scones.
- STEP 4Crack the egg into a measuring jug and whisk lightly. Top the beaten egg up with milk until the mixture reaches the half-pint or 285ml mark. Whisk again to combine.
- STEP 5Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the majority of the egg mixture into the bowl, keeping back a little to brush the scones with before baking.
- STEP 6Stir the mixture to combine and then knead very briefly, just enough to bring it together. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- STEP 7Roll out the dough quite thickly (1 1/2 inches) and cut out circles with a scone cutter or a glass. Don't twist as you cut or the scones will rise unevenly. Alternatively, you can cut the dough into traditional wedges.
- STEP 8Place the scones on a baking tray. Glaze the tops with the egg and milk mixture then sprinkle a little cheese over each one.
- STEP 9Put straight into the very hot oven and bake for around 13 minutes or until well risen and browned. Afterwards, cool on a rack for five minutes before eating warm with butter.