Member recipe by julesthenorweegie
Skinkegrateng in Norwegian. My mother used to make this for us when I was little. Serve with some boiled carrots and potatoes, and you're golden! Comes in at around 450 calories each.
- 250-300 g dry macaroni
- 300-350 ml milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 340 g canned ham (i.e Tulip), small dice
- 150 g grated cheese (I used the low-fat option)
- Boiled carrots, broccoli and potatoes to serve
- Turn the oven up to 180-200ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°C
- Boil up the macaroni until almost cooked
- In the meantime, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a pan along with the garlic, and then pour in the milk. Once this is bubbling and the macaroni is starting to soften in the other pot, have in the flour. Remember to stir the sauce constantly! Mix in the flour and stir until it thickens, add the salt and pepper and pour in the ham, combine.
- In a larger bowl, pour in the sauce and ham, drain the macaroni once it's cooked and mix it in with the sauce. Transfer the mix to a large ovenproof dish, and top with grated cheese. Bake for about 40 minutes until the cheese is golden. If the gratin is still looking a bit pale close to the finishing time, turn the grill on high, checking on it every second minute or so, so it doesn't end up burnt.
- Take it out to cool for a few minutes, before helping yourself to a good portion!