Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
By Brian Turner from Market kitchen
- 450 g whole salmon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- pinches bay leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 100 g butter, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g clarified butter, for the topping
- 50 g clarified butter, for the topping
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Cut the fish into 1cm slices and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- STEP 2Add the spices and lemon juice and season to taste.
- STEP 3Stir in the butter and chopped onion, and spoon the mixture into an ovenproof dish - it should be about 3cm in depth. Cover with a tightly fitting lid.
- STEP 4Stand the dish in a roasting tin, half-filled with hot water, taking care that the water doesn't seep into the sealed salmon mixture. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the fish is flaky to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave on one side to cool.
- STEP 5Flake the salmon with a fork and stir in the parsley. Check the seasoning before spooning the cooked fish mixture into small ramekins. Chill for a couple of hours.
- STEP 6Pour a thin layer of melted clarified butter over the chilled pots and return to the fridge to set.