- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Naan with a sweet nut and raisin filling
- Dough: 1 tsp of dried active yeast
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 200g plain flour
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp of plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp of milk
- Filling:70g pistachios
- 35g raisins
- 1½ tsp brown sugar
- STEP 1In a small bowl, mix the yeast and sugar with a tablespoon of warm water to activate. Leave for 5 minutes in a warm place until frothy.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking powder.
- STEP 3Once yeast is frothy add it to the flour with the oil, yoghurt and milk.
- STEP 4Knead the dough, with slightly wet hands, folding as you go until it is nice and soft.
- STEP 5Place the dough in a mixing bowl, cover it with cling film and leave it in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- STEP 6Divide the dough into four balls and place on a floured surface.
- STEP 7Place all ingredients for the filling into a blender and blitz to a course powder.
- STEP 8Flatten out each ball and place about 1 tbsp of the filling into the middle. Pull up the dough to seal the filling inside then carefully roll into a tear shape about 0.5cm/¼in thick.
- STEP 9Heat the tava or frying pan and turn on the grill to high to heat up. Place the naan onto the pan for about a minute or two to brown on one side.
- STEP 10Transfer to a baking tray (cooked side down) and cook under a hot grill for 2 - 5 minutes until all puffed up. Smear with butter to serve.