Classic Chocolate Mousse
Member recipe by jesscox
This is a tasty, tried and tested dessert that relies on only three ingredients. Perfect for Dinner Parties - enjoy :)
- 120g Dark Chocolate (good quality, 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- Place the chocolate pieces into a heatproof bowl and place over a bowl of barely simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water (this ensures the chocolate is evenly melted and prevents burning). When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat.
- Take the egg whites and whisk until they form soft peaks. Stir in the sugar and whisk until well combined and glossy.
- In a different bowl, whisk the egg yolks then beat them into the melted chocolate with a wooden spoon. This can become quite hard work as the mixture becomes quite stiff but take a spoonful of the egg whites and add to the chocolate mixture to loosen it. Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites and the sugar, (taking care not to over-mix) to combine the ingredients. The mixture needs to be light and fluffy.
- Spoon the mixture into small pots or one large bowl, cover and allow to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.