Ready for a Roasting this Autumn!
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
With a beautiful British summer almost behind us, bring warmth to the table this autumn with a colourful dish packed with flavour. The succulent roasted tomatoes combined with aromatic and warming spices are sure to brighten that evening meal.
- 12-14 large heritage/heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 100g basmati and wild rice
- The leaves from 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- 100g Manchego cheese, chopped
- 300ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
- STEP 11. Slice off the top of each tomato horizontally, reserving each tomato ‘lid’. Scoop out the seeds and heart from the middle of each and spoon into a bowl. Put the tomatoes into an ovenproof dish and drizzle with a little oil. Season well.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the shallots and celery until just softened. Finely chop the tomato pulp and add to the pan. Simmer for 5-8 minutes until the mixture looks saucy.
- STEP 3Season the mixture well then stir in the rice, chilli flakes and rosemary. Pour in 200ml stock, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until the stock has all absorbed and the rice is just tender.
- STEP 4Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan oven/gas mark 6. Stir in the Manchego cheese, then spoon the rice evenly among the tomato shells. Put the ‘lids’ on top of each, then pour around the remaining stock. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, removing the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.