Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus Cooling
- More effort
- Makes 18
Sweet gooey meringues perfect for eating on there own, or crumbled and stirred up with fresh fruit!
- 4 Large egg whites, at room temperature
- 115g Caster sugar
- 115g Icing sugar
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 110c and Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- STEP 2Tip the 4 large egg whites into a large clean mixing bowl (not plastic). Beat them on medium speed with an electric hand whisk until the mixture resembles a fluffy cloud and stands up in stiff peaks.
- STEP 3Now turn the speed up and start to add 115g caster sugar, a dessertspoonful at a time. Continue beating for 3-4 seconds between each addition. It’s important to add the sugar slowly at this stage as it helps prevent the meringue from weeping later. However, don’t over-beat. When ready, the mixture should be thick and glossy.
- STEP 4Fold in the a third of the icing sugar with a big metal spoon or rubber spatula. Again, don’t over-mix. Fold in the rest , The mixture should now look smooth and billowy, almost like a snow drift.
- STEP 5Scoop up a heaped dessertspoonful of the mixture (or pipe but sometimes this can cause the meringues to drop). Using another dessertspoon, ease it on to the baking sheet. Bake for 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 hours in a fan oven (100C), 1 1⁄4 hours in a conventional or gas oven (110C), until the meringues sound crisp when tapped underneath and are a pale coffee colour. Leave to cool on the trays or a cooling rack. (The meringues will now keep in an airtight tin for up to 2 weeks, or frozen for a month.)