Fisherman's Pie & Crispy Mash
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
- 100g of Prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 150g of Haddock
- 200g of Cod
- 4 sprigs of fresh Parsley
- 100mls of double cream
- 550mls of Milk (preferably full fat)
- 3 tbsp of plain flour
- 25g of butter
- 3 large eggs
- ÃÂ½ tin of sweetcorn
- 5 medium/large potatoes
- dash of milk
- tbsp of butter (melted)
- cheddar cheese
- sprig of parsley to decorate
<a href="http://www.jamesnewhouse.co.uk/">James Newhouse</a>
- <a href="http://www.jamesnewhouse.co.uk/">James Newhouse</a>
- STEP 1Preheat your oven to 200degrees / gas mark 6
- STEP 2Peel and boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and add a dash of milk and knob of butter and mash until thick and creamy. Season if you wish.
- STEP 3Hard boil the eggs and allow them to cool. Shell and chop to a similar size for egg sandwiches. This will need to cover your fish and sauce and hold your mash on top.
- STEP 4Put your milk, flour and butter in a pan and bring to the boil stirring continuously, simmer until thickened. Stir in the double cream slowly. Finely chop the parsley and add to your sauce. Keep stirring! Season to taste with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- STEP 5Cut your fish into large cubes and place in a deep oven proof dish. Add the sweet corn and prawn. Pour over the sauce and mix well so all the fish is covered. Make sure the sauce just covers the fish, but do not drown it! Leave for around 5 minutes so the sauce thickens a little on top.
- STEP 6Place the egg on top of the fish and sauce, so you have one even layer of egg.
- STEP 7Spoon your mash on top and smooth down. Using a fork seal the edges against the dish and pattern the mash if you wish. Top your mash with a thin layer of breadcrumbs. Place the oven proof dish in a baking tray to catch and drips and put in the middle of the oven to cook for 30 minutes. The breadcrumbs should become a nice golden colour. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese (as much or as little as you wish!) pop under the grill until the cheese has melted and gone crispy.
- STEP 8Can be served with sweet pea shoot salad or garlic bread, or on its own on a cold winter's night.
- STEP 9