Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Mince Pies (butter free)
- Preparation and cooking time
- 30 mins to 1 hour for the pastry to rest in the fridge
- Serves 18
Foolproof shortcrust for Mince Pies. (no butter).
- 8 ozs self-raising flour
- 4 ozs plain flour
- pinch salt
- 150 grams lard
- 150 mls water
- STEP 1sieve flour and salt together
- STEP 2cut lard into small pieces and rub into the flour by hand until they resemble breadcrumbs
- STEP 3make a well in the centre and add the water gradually - you may not need all of it
- STEP 4bind all together handling as little as possible and wrap in cling film
- STEP 5rest in the fridge for at least an hour
- STEP 6roll out pastry on a floured board and cut out circles, the bottom circles being slightly larger than the tops.
- STEP 7grease a tart tin and lay larger circles in bottom of each indent. add one good teaspoon of mincemeat to each. top with smaller circles that have been brushed with water and pinch round the edges so they adhere to the bottoms.
- STEP 8brush each mince pie with egg and/or milk to glaze. dust with a little caster sugar and bake at 160° for about 20-25 mins.