Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Moroccan lamb tagine
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus marinate overnight.
- Serves 4
This authentic tagine recipe will take you to slow-cooked perfection in six simple steps
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1ÃÂ½ tbsp paprika
- 1ÃÂ½ tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 x shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about 1.1kg/2ÃÂ½lb meat in total)
- 2 large onions, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp argan oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 570ml/1 pint tomato juice
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half
- 55g/2oz dates, cut in half
- 55g/2oz sultanas or raisins
- 85g/3oz flaked almonds
- 1 tsp saffron stamens, soaked in cold water
- 600ml/1 pint lamb stock
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2.
- STEP 2Place the cayenne, black pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon into a small bowl and mix to combine. Place the lamb in a large bowl and toss together with half of the spice mix. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
- STEP 3Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of argan oil in a large casserole dish. Add the grated onion and the remaining spice mix and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes so that the onions are soft but not coloured. Add the crushed garlic for the final 3 minutes.
- STEP 4In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining oil and brown the cubes of lamb on all sides then add the browned meat to the casserole dish. De-glaze the frying pan with ÃÂ¼ pint of tomato juice and add these juices to the pan.
- STEP 5Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins or sultanas, flaked almonds, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole dish. Bring to the boil, cover with a fitted lid, place in the oven and cook for 2-2ÃÂ½ hours or until the meat is meltingly tender.
- STEP 6Place the lamb in a tagine or large serving dish and sprinkle over the chopped herbs. Serve.