Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Ben's beef Ragu
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Slow cooked rich ragu
- 4-500g mince beef
- 120g bacon lardons
- 1kg passata
- squeeze of tomato purée
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 250g mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon of (Italian) mixed herbs
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- STEP 1Preheat fan over to 140C (160C conventional) Heat the olive oil in a large casserole and fry the lardons until slightly brown.
- STEP 2Add the onion and garlic and fry until softened.
- STEP 3Add the mince meat until just turning brown.
- STEP 4Now add the passata, tomato purée and the rest of the vegetables. Add the herbs and season well with pepper and a little salt. Bring to a gentle simmer and put in the oven with a lid on.
- STEP 5Cook in oven for 2 hours. Check the sauce occasionally and stir. Add a little water if looking too dry.