Traditional cottage pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Comfort food,delicious and great for the whole family! Even good the next day for lunch.
- Mince steak 800g
- 2 large onions
- 4 whole carrots
- Frozen peas half cup full approx depending on how many you like in
- 5 large Red rooster potatoes
- Beef stock cube
- Bistro gravy granules
- 500ml water
- Half teaspoon of marmite
- Large knob of butter(for mash)
- 150g mature cheddar cheese grated for the top
- 1tsp mixed herbs
- 50ml double cream (optional extra for the mash)
- 1 tsp of whole grain mustard (for the mash)
- STEP 1Firstly dice your onions and brown in a tbsp of olive oil then add your mince and brown making sure you get rid of the stringy shape by squashing with your wooden spoon.
- STEP 2Then add ur gravy seasoning marmite stock cube and tsp of mixed herbs simmer for half an hour
- STEP 3Thinly slice your carrots and boil till soft along with the peas. When cooked drain and add to mince mixture add more water if required remember you don't want it to sloppy just and more graveyard granules.
- STEP 4Boil your potatoes for the mash drain add butter 1 tsp whole grain mustard and half the cheese mash then use a potato ricer to create a smooth creamy taste. You could always add a little double cream if desired
- STEP 5Put mince mixture in large ovenproof dish top with mash then sprinkle the rest with cheese pop in the oven for half an hour gas mark 6 making sure the cheese has melted and gone golden. Serve and ENJOY!