Chicken liver with onions
Member recipe by hunyi81
- 500g chicken liver
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 100g butter
- 2 medium onions
- 3 tbsp majoram
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tomato
- 4-5 finely sliced bacons (for smoky taste)
- 1/3 glass of white wine
- 2 pinch of salt
- Wash the chicken livers, get rid of the fat if it has and cut them to half. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut half the onions and slice them. Slice finely the bacons.
- Take a big frying pan, heat the oil and butter put the sliced bacons and fry until it is golden. Then you can add the sliced onions and stir fry for another few mins until gets tender.
- You can turn down the heat now and add the chopped tomato (for the juice), and the livers. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 5 mins. Careful the livers can splash if they are wet!
- Check and stir the livers. You can add the crushed black pepper, the wine and the majorams. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Wait with the salt! It goes only at the end! (You can strenght the flavour of the majorams if you crumble them)
- You will see a kind of stew in you pan. Now you can turn up the heat again and stir the stuff and let it thicken a bit. Now it is time to check the livers. Stab them with a knife. If there's no blood coming out from the liver, it means they are ready. Do not overcook the livers, they become hard.
- If the liver is soft and ready, you can turn off the heat and add the rest of the majorams and season with the salt. Salt must be the last one for the liver!
- To serve, you can make boiled rice or serve with fresh white bread. If you have fresh parsley at home, you can chop a littre for dressing. I can assure your family will like it! You can try it with a little pickles too. Good apetite!