Chocolate Orange Gingerbread
Member recipe by hotchocolates
This cake is very quick and easy to make which I love. I am not very good at complicated recipes with too many stages, the fewer the better is my philosophy. As the cake cooks it will fill your kitchen with the most beautiful aroma of chocolate, spice and orange, the perfect natural room fragrance!
- For the cake
- 100g butter
- 100g hot chocolates dark chocolate buttons
- 75g dark muscovado sugar
- 100ml golden syrup
- 1/4 pt milk
- Grated zest 1 orange
- 175g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 round teasp ground ginger
- 1 round teasp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- For the topping
- 100g butter
- 75g hot chocolates dark chocolate buttons
- Juice 1 orange
- 50g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150C/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 7in square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter, chocolate, sugar, syrup, milk and zest together in a pan over a gentle heat. Sift flour, bicarb and spices into a large mixing bowl.
- Once melted add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and beat well. Add the egg and beat again. Pour mixture into the tin. Tap the pan on the work surface to allow excess air bubbles to rise to the top.
- Bake in the oven for exactly 30 mins, test cake with a skewer in the centre, if it does not come out clean leave for another five mins and keeping testing until skewer is clean. Leave to cool in tin for 10 mins then empty out on to a wire tray to cool completely. Place cake on serving dish.
- For the topping, melt the butter, chocolate, icing sugar and orange juice in a small pan over a gentle heat stirring all the time. Pour over the cake and eat when cold, if you can wait! Sharon